You’re wondering, “Can I give my dog CBD oil?” Better yet, should you give your dog CBD?
While there has been more research showing CBD’s effects on people than on CBD for animals, this cannabinoid can be used for pets. Even though the main focus is on the human-safety profile of CBD, we see more research pushed towards animal studies.
People love their animals. So if something natural is improving the health of a pet owner, it’s only natural that they’re hoping it could help their pets too.
But what about safety? Is CBD safe for dogs? What about a horse?
Before you consider using CBD to treat your pet, make sure you talk about it with a veterinarian. Without professional medical advice, you could hurt your pet with an inappropriate dose.
With that being said, let’s discuss CBD and how your pets could find relief while using it.
Will CBD Get Your Dog High?
Like all mammals, your dog has an endocannabinoid system. An animal endocannabinoid system produces endocannabinoids, as well. With this being the case, you can introduce cannabinoids to your pet’s system with food, supplements, and topically.
But you’re wondering whether or not your dog will get high from CBD. The short answer is, “no.” Since CBD isn’t psychoactive, your dog won’t experience psychoactive effects.
While CBD won’t get your dog high, your disabled pet could use it for a plethora of problems. From CBD treats to tinctures, your pet could experience a variety of benefits from this powerful cannabinoid.
CBD Benefits For Dogs
You’ve likely heard of CBD dog treats for pain and a host of other issues. But you’re still wondering, “Will CBD make my dog calm?”
Anecdotally speaking, dog owners throughout the U.S. are using cannabinoids to treat their furry friends’ issues. From using CBD for dog seizures to CBD for dogs’ anxiety, pet owners are providing their pets with the relief they deserve.
Here are some of the problems CBD can ease in dogs:
- Pain – Pain management is a common problem many pet owners use pain medication to ease the pain. There’s anecdotal evidence from dog owners that suggests CBD can help with the pain.
- Anxiety – Studies in rodents show CBD reverses schizophrenia-like symptoms in rodents, acting as an anti-psychotic. The way this impacts rodents also shows how it can help decrease anxiety in dogs.
- Chronic Inflammation – As dogs get older, their inflammatory cytokines increase. Some dogs experience a significant reduction in inflammation and inflammation-associated pain after taking CBD.
- Epileptic Seizures – During a small study, scientists uncovered that 89 percent of the dogs they gave CBD experienced a decrease in the frequency of their seizures.
- Digestive Problems – Similar to how people can experience relief from digestive problems by taking CBD, dogs can too. This is because the endocannabinoid system assists in regulating digestion.
- Cancer Symptoms – Just as with humans, some dogs need chemotherapy treatments when they have cancer. These drugs are powerful and cause nausea. People take CBD to relieve these cancer symptoms, and since dogs also have an endocannabinoid system, they may find relief with CBD, as well.
Using CBD Oil for Other Animals
What about the CBD benefits for other pets? CBD for cats has its benefits, as does CBD for horses and other animals.
CBD is safe for cats –– as long as you’re purchasing trustworthy products. Pet owners need to make sure that the product isn’t mislabeled, checking to see whether or not the product has had 3rd party testing verifying its contents.
One problem is that some cat owners don’t take their cat to a veterinarian before giving their cat CBD. This could harm the cat and even be life-threatening. So while you may be trying to use CBD for a cat’s anxiety, you could do some severe damage if you don’t consult a professional.
Horses can find relief from CBD, as well. Whether they’re suffering from pain, inflammation, sluggishness, digestion problems, anxiety issues, chronic stress, or stiffness, some horse owners are finding it can relieve what ails their majestic pet.
CBD oil can bring your horse the mental, physical, and emotional relaxation it craves. After consulting with a veterinarian specializing in horse medicine, you could try giving your horse a CBD horse treat to see how it feels.
Speak With a Veterinarian First
Do vets recommend CBD oil for dogs and other pets? Sometimes, but other times, they might be restricted from doing so because of where they live. Regardless, it’s essential to discuss how CBD could impact your pet before giving them this cannabinoid.
While you can find CBD oil without a prescription, discussing it with your veterinarian first will ensure your pet stays safe. CBD oil can be problematic for an animal’s metabolic system, so you could be doing more harm than good if you administer it without asking your vet beforehand.
Things to Keep in Mind When Buying Quality CBD Products for Dogs or Other Animals
Some companies are producing CBD products exclusively for animals. However, there are some considerations to keep in mind before making your purchase. Use these tips to ensure the products will encourage the best results possible:
- Make sure it’s made for animals: If you’re buying it for your dog, make sure it’s the best CBD for dogs you can find. The same goes for if you’re purchasing CBD oil for a cat. If the product is for people, it could have some ingredients that could hurt your pet.
- Buy organic products: Avoid harmful pesticides and herbicides some industrial hemp farming is using. Make sure to shop organic for your pet. Remember, the best CBD is great, but it’s even better if you can find the best organic CBD for dogs available in your area.
- Look for lab testing: Quality products will always include lab testing. Make sure you choose third-party tested CBD for dogs because you’ll know what the concentration of your product is, and you’ll have the documentation to prove it.
- Go for full-spectrum: Full-spectrum is better than CBD isolate because it includes a plethora of other compounds found in the cannabis plant. While the sum of these compounds is likely minuscule, they work together to promote the “Entourage Effect.”
CBD Wellness for Pets
Considering buying CBD for your pet? We want you and your pets to be safe while getting the most out of your CBD products.
With the industry remaining largely unregulated, it’s now more critical than ever before to research CBD products before buying them. Searching through CBD for pets research might seem tedious, but keeping your furry friends safe while administering CBD makes the extra steps worth the time.
At Spensry, we’re hand-selecting products pet owners can trust. All of the pet products we offer are 3rd-party tested, giving you the insight you need to make the right decision for your pet. Shop Spensry for all of your pet’s CBD needs and experience the difference quality products can make.